A woman who had a tingly throat assumed that she must have a cold, regardless, she decided to go to the doctors and was then shocked to be told she had a live worm burrowing into one of her tonsils.
In Tokyo, a 25-year-old woman began to notice that she was experiencing a tingly irritation at the back of her throat. Wanting to have it confirmed with the doctor, she decided to go to St Luke’s International Hospital.
After a blood test was conducted and it came back as normal, the doctors decided to take a closer look at her tonsils. It was then that they discovered there was a small black mass in her left tonsil.
Realising that something was definitely wrong, the doctor used a short tweezer to extract whatever was inside this mass. The woman was then horrified to see a live worm wriggling on a dish in front of her.
A case study was then published in the American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene which stated that the worm was still alive when extracted, it measured 38mm long and 1mm wide. It was identified as a nematode roundworm, which is one of several parasites that can infect people who eat raw fish or meat.
During the study, it was discovered that the woman had eaten sashimi five days earlier. Following the quick procedure, it was said that her symptoms “rapidly improved”.
The journal had noted that the worm was a fourth-stage larva and the infection had been caused by its younger version, as it had been present in her dish.
The authors pointed out that although oropharyngeal infections are rare – in comparison to worms which attach themselves to the lining of the oesophagus, stomach or intestine – the number of cases has “markedly increased worldwide”, as more people are eating sushi and sashimi.
Usually, parasites can be killed by freezing the fish but in different countries, there are different guidelines, if any at all.
People can be infected with similar parasites by consuming raw or undercooked meat.
In other news, a man has developed a hippo-like neck after he admitted to drinking alcohol every day for over four decades. His love of alcohol had meant his neck had swelled up to twice its usual size.